- Mr. Shiraz Ali
Assistant Botanist (Wheat)
- Mr. Waheed Arshad
Assistant Research Officer (PBG)
- Mr. Muhammad Zeeshan
Assistant Research Officer (PBG)
- Development of high yielding, disease resistant and drought tolerant varieties of important crops of Barani tract including wheat, chickpea and sorghum.
- Development of Production Technology.
- Evaluation / adaptability Trials.
- Transfer of Technology.
Current Research Activities:
- This research station is conducting 31 research experiments during rabi (2012-13) for the improvement of wheat, chickpea, lentil and brassica which are widely grown in Fatehjang and surrounding areas. The research work includes experiments on germplasm enrichment, improvement through hybridization, and evaluation of promising lines in various trials including Preliminary (A), Regular (B), Micro (rainfed), National Uniform, Adaptation and Advance yield trials of wheat, chickpea, lentil and brassica. Moreover, the refinement of production technology is also carried for advance and elite wheat lines. With the implementation of this research plan, high yielding, drought tolerant and disease resistant genotypes would be developed and promising genotypes would be advanced and tested in zonal and national trials for the development of varieties with enhanced productivity.
- Wheat material is also screened out against rusts (LR, YR & SR) in two different nurseries from CDRP National Agricultural Research Center, Islamabad and Wheat Research Institute, Faisalabad.
- Wheat gene pool comprising of seventy six (76) entries was enriched by inclusion of 26 local and exotic genotypes from various sources to incorporate maximum desirable genes from different sources and to increase the magnitude of variability in future generations. Data for important traits was recorded to assess available genetic variability. Fifty four (54) successful crosses among selected wheat genotypes were performed to incorporate durable resistance against rusts via Yr18/Lr34 and Sr2/Yr30, drought tolerance and high yield. Genotypes including Dharabi-11, Punjab-11, Millat-11, AARI-11, BARS-09, NARC-09, LASANI -08, CH-50, 07FJ17, 03FJ26 and 01BT002 were used in the crossing programme to exploit the yield potential and obtain disease resistance / drought tolerant material. Moreover, 2561 progenies from F2 to F5 were evaluated and promising ones were selected for their advancement in the next generation.
- In regular wheat yield trial, three genotypes viz. 09FJ21, 09FJ34 and 09FJ16 were significantly high yielding as compared to both check varieties (BARS-09 and Dharabi-11) as well as drought and yellow rust resistant. These lines will be contributed to Micro wheat yield trial next year. The genotype 06FJS3013 which performed excellent in Micro Yield Trial (rainfed) was contributed to NUWYT (Rainfed) 2011-12 for its testing and evaluation at national level. One genotype 08FJ97 which performed very good in Micro Yield Trial (rainfed) 2011-12 will be contributed to NUWYT (Rainfed) 2012-13.
- Exotic germplasm of wheat comprising a total of 214 entries received from ICARDA (CWANA-CA 12th Dry land Spring Bread Wheat Yield Trial and SWANA 12th Spring Bread Wheat Observation Nursery 2011-12) and 195 entries received from CIMMYT (19th Semi Arid Wheat Yield Trial and 29th Semi Arid Wheat Screening Nursery 2011-12) were screened against yellow rust disease and a total of 55 entries were selected on the basis of their overall performance. Similarly, 36 wheat lines in FJWSN were screened, out of which 04 high yielding and resistant lines were selected for further evaluation in station yield trials. Moreover, 258 entries of wheat in National Wheat Disease Screening Nursery received from NARC, Islamabad were sown for screening against yellow rust in the area. In addition, various chickpea trials (Advance and National Yield Trials for both Kabuli and Desi), Mustard and Rapeseed Micro trials received from different provincial and national research organizations were conducted for the testing of yield performance and adaptability.
- During Kharif 2012, sorghum genepool comprising of 36 genotypes was evaluated and 37 successful crosses were harvested. Thirty seven entries in filial generations F1, F2, F5 and F6 of sorghum were evaluated for their performance and a total of 27 entries were selected for their advancement to next generations. Six entries each of sorghum and millet were evaluated for their grain and fodder yield performance in Micro Fodder yield trials. Moreover, National Uniform Fodder Yield Trial of Guar comprising of six genotypes was conducted.
- Certified seed of approved varieties of wheat, chickpea and sorghum was multiplied at this farm and provided to the farmers along with their production technology and guide lines for better production.
- S. Niaz M.I. Haq, S. Ahmed and N.Kamal. 1999. Evalutions of sorghum genotypes for grain production under rain fed condition. Pak.J.Sci. Res. 51 (3-4): 98-100.
- S. Ahmed, S.M. Tariq, S. Niaz and N. Kamal Sarhad. 1996. Evolution of promising pearl millet genotypes under rain fed conditions. J. Agric. 12 (2): 129-132.
- Awan, S.I., M.F.A. Malik and M. Siddique. 2005. Combinning ability analysis in intervarietal crosses for component traits in hexaploid wheat. 1(4):316-317
- Awan, S.I., M.F.A. Malik. 2005. Comparison of head to seed and stump method for quality hybrid seed production over environments. Indus J.PI. Sci. 4(4): 595-597.
- Khan, M.Q., S.I. Awan and M.M. Mughal. 2005. Estimation of genetic parameters in spring wheat genotypes under rainfed conditions. Indus J. Biol. Sci. 2(3): 367-370.
- Malik., M.F.A, S.I. Awan and S. Ali. 2005. Genetic behavior and analysis of quantitative traits in five wheat genotypes. J. Agric. & Social Sci. 1(4): 313-315.
- Siddique. M., S. Ali, M.F.A. Malik and S.I. Awan. 2004. Combining ability estimate for yield and yield components in spring wheat. Sarhad J. Agric. 20(4): 485-487.
- Awan, S.I., M.F.A. Malik and M. Siddique. 2005. Seedling traits studies to explore genetic variation for drought tolerance in wheat under moisture stess conditions. SAARC J. Agric. 3:247-254.
- Awan, S.I., M. Siddique and M.F.A. Malik. 2006. Combining ability studies for plant height and flag leaf characteristics in bread wheat. Bio. Sci. Res. 3(1): 167-170
- Khan, M.Q., M.M. Mughal. And S.I. Awan. 2006. Vegetative growth of cabbage in relation to sowing time, plant spacing and NPK growth under different localities of Azad Kashmir. International J. Agric & Biol. (Accepted).
- Tariq, M., S.I. Awan, M. Siddique and S. Ali. 2006. Wheat grain storage in Pakistan- Essential requirements, present status and future strategies. Indus J. Pl. Sci. 5(2): 779-783
- Siddique, M., S. Ali, M.F.A. Malik and S. I. Awan. 2004. Combining ability estimates for yield and yield components in spring wheat. Sarhad J. Agric. 20(4):485-487
- Awan, S.I., S. Ali and M.F.A. Malik. 2006. Combining ability analysis in intraspecific crosses of spring wheat. Sarhad J. Agric. 22(3): 415-417
- Ali, M.A., M. T. Seyal, S.I.Awan, S. Niaz and A. Abbass. 2008. Hybrid authentication in upland cotton through RAPD analysis. Aust. J. Crop Sci. 2(3): 141
- Malik, M.F.A., M. Hussain and S.I. Awan. 2007. Response of fodder yield in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) to seed rate and row spacing. J Agric. Social Sci. 02(04).
- Malik, M.F.A., M Ashraf, A.S. Qureshi and A. Ghafoor. 2006. Utilization of diverse germplasm for soybean yield improvement. Asian J. Pl. Sci. 5(4): 663-667
- Siddique, M., S. Ali, M.F.A. Malik and S.I Awan. 2006. Genetic divergence, association and performance evaluation of different genotypes of mungbean (Vigna radiata). 8(6): 793-795
- Malik, M.F.A., A.S. Qureshi, M Ashraf and A. Ghafoor. 2006. Genetic variability of the main yield related characters in soybean. Int J. Agric. & Biol. 8(6): 815-819
- Malik, M.F.A., A.S. Qureshi and M Ashraf. 2006. Screening and evaluation of an exotic population of soybean (Glycine max L.) for heritability and yield correlations. Biol. Sci. Res. 3(1): 183-188.
- Malik, M.F.A., M Ashraf, A.S. Qureshi and A. Ghafoor. 2007. Assessment of genetic variability, correlation and path analysis for yield and its components in soybean. Pak. J. Bot. 29(2): 405-413.
- Awan, S.I., S. Niaz and M.F.A. Malik. 2007. An Analysis of variability and relationship among seedling traits and plant height in semi dwarf wheat (Triticum aestivum). J. Agric. Social Sci. 3(2): 59-62
- Tariq M., S.I. Awan and M. Irshad ul Haq. 2007. Genetic variability and character association for harvest index in sorghum under rainfed conditions. Int. J. Agric & Bio. 9(3): 470-472.
- Malik, M.F.A., S.I Awan and S. Niaz. Comparative study of quantitative traits and association of yield and its components in black gram (Vigna munga) genotypes. Asian J. Pl. Sci. (Accepted).
- Sajjid-ur-Rehman, W. Arshad, S. Ali, M Hussain, M. Tariq, A. Mehmood and S. Niaz. 2012 BARS-09: A high yielding and rust resistant wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) variety for rainfed areas of Punjab. J. Agric Res., 50(2): 189-201.
- Zeeshan M., W. Arshad, S. Ali, M. Owais, M. Zulkiffal and M. Hussain. 2013. Genetic divergence and character association in chickpea (Cicer arietinum ) under rainfed conditions. Woodpecker J. Agri. Res., 2(1): 28-32.